Churches and Palaces of Lungarno Galilei
Located on the Lungarno Galilei of Pisa, Palazzo Lanfranchi is the result of a series of restructuring, particularly between 1539 and 1535, when it was restored along with all four core buildings dating from the medieval period. And 'situated in a position skewed to the left, surrounded by a series of frames in stone and topped by a large terrace overlooking the Arno, the main entrance, access road main. On each floor there are elegant windows placed at regular intervals, there are also two cornices, an emblem that adorns the building, located on the portal of the balcony and stone profiles.
Among the remains of buildings in the next building are the areas of three pillars on the ground floor, which probably supported the arches that supported the vaults of the ceilings. At the alley Lanfranchi you may notice a plaster wall without evidence that the presence of architectural features of medieval origin as low arches, windows and holes pontaie buffered.
The museum of the Palazzo Lanfranchi
Commissioned by the Municipality of Pisa and the University of Pisa, the palace now houses the Museum of Design, from which we can admire the collections of the University of Prints and Drawings Department of Art History, a series of graphic contemporary whose parent Carlo Ludovico Ragghianti in 1958 that started the collection.
Other major works, in the museum, are among the donations Sebastian Timpanaro which offered the museum a thousand pieces of the period, the most important collection covers a period from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, between these works include Argan, including about 600 pieces dating from the second half of Twentieth century.
Church of the Holy Sepulchre
It was built in the twelfth century, on the draft Diotisalvi, author of the Baptistery of Pisa, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre has an octagonal shape and an arcade of five hundred intact until 1800, while the bell tower houses a plaque in memory of architect same.
Historical insights on the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
How can we noted in other structures of Pisa, the Leaning Tower or the bell tower of St. Nicholas, the base of the church collapsed a few inches, now it is more low road regarding the organization.
Portals are kept lions' heads in marble and decorated phytomorphic, is absent in the inner rooms kit Baroque disfigured in the nineteenth century. The church has and reliquary bust of St. Ubaldesca, XV century, the bucket hypothetically attributed to the saint, a remarkable painting of the fifteenth century on panel of the Madonna and Child and the tombstone of the niece of Cardinal Mazarin, Mary Mancini, the darling of the Sun King Louis XIV.
The name given to the church originates from the cross which was headed by Daiberto, archbishop of Pisa, Pisa when they returned home they decided to build a structure that was both hospital, hotel, church and convent. The church was built on the basis of the structures of the holy city of Jerusalem, because the inner is inspired by the Holy Sepulchre and the outside is very similar to the Mosque of Omar, believed to be Solomon's Temple during the first crusades.