Formerly known as Palace Appian, the Medici Palace is one of several buildings located on the Lungarno Medici, now houses the Prefecture.
History of Palazzo Medici
The current appearance is due to the thirteenth century, built on ruins dating from the eleventh century, why was also indicated by the name of the Palazzo Vecchio. Stayed here the lords of Pisa, Appiani in a period between 1392 and 1398, then in the hands of Lorenzo ce 'Medici, who stayed in the Tuscan town to cure his precarious health in the wake of Agnolo Poliziano, his great friend humanist. Pietro the Unfortunate hosted in 1494 Charles VIII of France, in 1871 the building was renovated at the hands of Ranieri Simonelli commissioned by Victoria Spinola, born of the union between Victor Emmanuel II and the "bella Rosina", so when the building was significant changes in buying a Gothic Conti replacing old windows with mullioned windows and the addition of a crenellated tower in brick.
The palace was also hosted the wife of the monarch of the King of Italy, precisely in 1885 and some years later, the journalist Alessandro D'Ancona, senator, leader of the liberal movement Tuscan and first director of the daily La Nazione of Florence. The palace presents a facade with a covering Stone wart on the ground, where you can note the presence of mullioned windows, the upper floors can see old piers and arches alternating with three-light windows and double windows.
The present appearance is the last restoration took place in the nineteenth century, commissioned by Alessandro Gherardesca, now houses the State Archives which houses a vast documentation on the medieval period the city and adjacent territory. The structure is also known for having hosted between 1821 and 1822, Lord Byron, which just left Pisa to Greece where he died.
State Archives of Pisa
Opened in 1869 by the Provisional Government of Tuscany, the State Archives was placed as the first seat on the Lodges of the Bank, which was inaugurated in 1865 now houses subsidiary. Originally a collection of documents kept in the archive documents from the archives of the Republic of Pisa, Pisa Municipality of Florence during the rule of grand-ducal period, deposits of the hospitals together, the Pious House of Mercy, Opera and Primate of the Knights of St. Stephen. Then, thanks to donations from the monasteries of Pisa and several members of Tuscan families, the store bought ever more valuable. Today we can see documents from the eighth century onwards arranged in more than 130 inventories.
Museum of Ancient Ships of Pisa
During some work on the construction of a railway junction station of Pisa St. Flushing, in 1998, were discovered underground excavation archaeological materials, was soon attested the importance of the site. At first we thought it was a port of call but was later identified the true nature, a zone of intersection of a channel of centuries of Pisa with the Serchio that, after numerous floods, sank about thirty boats. Kept in good condition such vessels, tankers and river boats, we arrived intact thanks to the complete absence of oxygen and the presence of groundwater.
For these conditions were brought to light many materials usually perishable wood, ropes, fishing tools, baskets and utensils. Most of the contents of the vessels was can retrieve it in jars and vases. According to numerous studies and detailed it was possible to make many assumptions about the area of origin of these vessels from various Mediterranean areas such as Campania, Gaul, etc ... This discovery was so remarkable that almost speak of a maritime Pompeii is was also possible to transform the site into a school yard. Ships are currently being restored at the Restoration Centre of the Wood Wet.
For the latest information sull'allestimento Museum at the Arsenals Medicei read the article in the Tyrrhenian!